Hail patch Tuesday. I woke up this morning to discover that my Access Edge server was offline and federation was broken. After digging into the event logs this is what I found:
Event Type: Error
Event Source: OCS Server
Event Categeory: (1000)
Event ID: 12290
The evaluation period for Microsoft Office Communications Server 2007 R2 has expired. Please upgrade from the evaluation version to the full released version of the product.
WHAT? Are you kidding me? So I did some digging on the Internet and quickly came across Doug’s post. He discovered that KB974571 is causing OCS/LCS servers to believe that they are running an evaluation version and have expired which in turn causes the services to shut down.
Until this patch is fixed I HIGHLY recommend that you delay the install of KB974571.
Click here for Doug’s post…
The IM Notification Agent on the Access Edge is failing with the following Application Log events:
Event ID: 10162
“ERROR: Microsoft.FSO.IMClient.dll.IMClient.RaiseLoginDone(“<System.Boolean success><System.String message>”) – Error occured logging in to server: 80072746: .”
Event ID: 10161
“ERROR: ForefrontNotificationAgent.exe.NotificationAgent.imClient_LoginDone(“<System.Object sender><FSOIMClient.ReportSuccessEventArgs e>”) – Failed to login.”
A couple of big changes were announced at the end of last week:
- A PIC license will no longer be required for federation with AOL.
- Federation costs with Yahoo! will be reduced by 50%.
- A new XMPP Gateway for OCS 2007 R2 provides presence and two-party IM interoperability with the XMPP based systems of Jabber and Google Talk.
Click here to read the official announcement from the OCS Team…
Click here to download more information on the XMPP Gateway…
XMPP Gateway limitations
- Virtualization of the XMPP Gateway is not supported.
- Collocation of the XMPP Gateway with other OCS roles is not supported.
- Only plain text is supported.
- Notes from OCS are not supported nor is custom status on the XMPP clients seen by OCS.
- The XMPP Gateway will only federate with OCS 2007 R2 and OCS 2007. LCS 2005 federation is not supported.
- Messages from the MOC client are not delivered to the last active instance of the XMPP client when an XMPP user is logged in with two or more clients.
- When an XMPP user adds an OCS buddy, the OCS user’s presence is not seen on the XMPP client until the OCS user’s presence changes.
- Conferencing is not supported on the gateway.
Configuring the XMPP Gateway
Connectivity to Gmail…
Connectivity to Jabber XCP 5.4…
Came across this hiding in the Apps on the iPhone this afternoon. Not written by Microsoft or Apple but by a company called Modality.
- The application uses Communicator Web Access (CWA) and not the Access Edge server. So this means you’ll need to have CWA deployed externally to get this app to work outside your network.
- It cost $9.99
Click here fore more information from Modality…